Rawlson King is an experienced, result-based community leader.
He has lived in Ward 13 for 15 years and has been an active volunteer for 10 years on a wide range of civic issues.
Recognized for his volunteer work, Rawlson won a 2018 United Way Ottawa Community Builder of the Year Award, conferred during National Volunteer Week.
As the President of the Overbrook Community Association over the last 3 years:
- He successfully advocated for a youth strategy for Ward 13.
- Led the organization when it raised $42,000 to hold a highly-acclaimed musical.
- Helped obtain heritage designation of a former neighbourhood public school.
- Assisted in piloting a post-incident response plan to serious crime, now used City-wide.
- Supported the creation and opening of a new community park in the Ward.
- Was a vocal leader in the fight to keep Rideau High School open.
As a Board member at the Rideau-Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre for 7 years:
- He's Treasurer of a $1.8 million facility that provides social services to Ward 13.
- Advocated for the establishment of a new community hub at the former Rideau High.
- Improved contact between residents, communities & organizations.
- Supported community development & public safety efforts in the Ward.
He is Co-Chair of the new Ottawa Police Service Community Equity Council where he:
- Builds relationships with police, Indigenous, faith-based & racialized communities.
- Advocates for equality in the police service & social investments in neighbourhoods.
Supportive of local visual and performative arts, Rawlson served as President of Gallery 101, a prominent Ottawa artist-run centre for many years. To encourage more local educational options, he currently serves as a Board member at AlivEducation, an innovative and non-traditional evening and weekend after-school program for youth that is offered at the Overbrook Community Centre.
Educated in Ottawa, Rawlson holds both a Bachelor of Journalism (with concentration in Legal Studies), and a M.A. in Communication from Carleton University.