In 2015, the Overbrook Community Association's annual general meeting meet to celebrate the neighbourhood's youth.
All residents of Overbrook and Castle Heights are invited to join the Overbrook Community Association at our Annual General Meeting, on Thursday, 19 November at 6:30 pm at the Overbrook Community Centre, located at 33 Quill Street at Queen Mary Street.
The meeting will focus on the potential of youth in our community and will feature updates from the Rideau-Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre, concerning a new youth strategy for the ward. We will also hear from Minwaashin Lodge, Andrew Fleck Child Care Services, AlivEducation, and the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board.
Before our program focusing on the youth in our community, the agenda will include:
- Electing the new Board members
- Extending our borders to include Castle Heights residents
- Confirming the community’s desire to be designated a Mature Neighbourhood
- Providing an update on urban laneways
Jamaal Jackson Rogers, known as JustJamaal The Poet, a local spoken word poet will also give a short performance at the AGM.
When asked what message he might like to convey to the young people of Overbrook, Jamaal mentioned four key ideas:
- Remember that life is a journey, a process that happens every moment
- There are no failures, only life lessons
- Believe in and depend on your own talent and find people to believe in and support you
- Be open to allow others to help you
We look forward to welcoming Jamaal to this meeting to focus on youth in our community.
The presentations and performance follow a short OCA business meeting which begins at 6:30 pm.